Saturday, January 14, 2012

Why I chose English 102

I chose English 102 mainly because it was a Gen. Ed. class that was required should I decide to pursue business. Aside from which, I chose this class because I figured that it would be a class that I can get the most out of if I put in the work. What I'm looking to take from this class is an enhanced skill of coming up with an idea that is relevant to the audience and can be discussed in a formal, longer type of paper. Although I've gotten good grades on a vast majority of my papers in the past, and teachers have said that I am not a bad writer, I don't feel like I am a confident writer. The reason being, I don't really know when I've made my point. I've turned in many papers in the past that were way longer than what the requirements have asked for, and I tend to ramble on while discussing each point that I raise in the paper. I also would like to learn how to properly cite sources, both in-text and on a works cited page. Many times, I use a type of source that is not clearly explained in the MLA guidelines.

I chose this class because I believe that it would not only help me become a better writer, but also a better speaker, which is arguably the single most important skill that should be mastered if one plans on becoming a businessman/businesswoman, or manager, a position that I myself wouldn't mind earning one day. Becoming a better writer and, but overall a better communicator is the difference between becoming a Capo of an organization and keeping my job as a Deli Clerk at Dominick's a temporary job instead of it being a permanent one. No offense to other deli clerk's, but my parents are paying hard earned money to send me to college in order for me to make something out of myself, and I plan on making the most of my opportunity, starting with this class. I believe that this is a class that everyone should take, no matter what field of study and occupation one plans to pursue. It is vital for people to build informal relationships for the sustenance of harmony between people, but when it comes to tasks being completed, people need to know how to communicate on a formal and professional level.

No comments:

Post a Comment